How to Pay Driver Responsibility Assessments Online
To make sure you are eligible for this transaction, read the information on this page.
When you are ready to begin this transaction, use the "Go to Transaction" link at the bottom of the page.
1. Determine if you are eligible:
- If you received a statement from the DMV that instructs you to pay a driver responsibility assessment, you can use this transaction to pay the assessment. The statement indicates the minimum amount that you must pay. If you do not have your statement, the transaction can display the amount that you owe.
- You can have NYS driver responsibility assessments to pay if you have a driver license in NYS or a driver license from another state and you have driver incidents in NYS.
- If you are sure that you must pay a driver responsibility assessment, but you have not received a statement for the assessment, you can use this transaction. If you have not received your statement, the transaction can display the amount that you owe.
- You cannot use this transaction to pay any other fines, surcharges, penalties, or fees. You can only use this transaction to pay driver responsibility assessments.
- If you do not owe a payment for a current driver responsibility assessment, and you enter your driver information for the transaction, you will receive an error message.
- To get more information about driver responsibility assessments, see the FAQs about the Driver Responsibility Program
2. Determine what you must have and what you need to know:
To pay a driver responsibility assessment online, your web browser must permit cookies.
To pay a driver responsibility assessment online, you must have these items or this information:
- Your Client ID Number from your NYS photo document or the statement that you received from the DMV.
- Or, if you do not have your Client ID Number, you need your name, your gender, and your date of birth.
- The last four digits of your Social Security Number. If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) on file with the NYS DMV (for example you do not have a NYS driver license), then enter 9999 in the SSN box in the transaction. If you have an SSN on file with the NYS DMV, you must enter the last four numbers of your SSN. The DMV uses this information only to verify your identity. The DMV does not display this information or disclose this information.
- A credit card or a debit card that the DMV accepts.
- An e-mail address that is not blocked and not protected. Your e-mail program must be able to receive e-mail from addresses that include the domain: dmv.ny.gov.
- A pen or a pencil and a piece of paper, or a printer, to record your confirmation number.
When you pay your driver responsibility assessment online, you need to know this information:
- If your driver license is suspended because you did not pay an assessment, the DMV will close the suspension immediately after your payment is processed. Your payment does not guarantee that the DMV will completely restore your driving privileges. Your payment does not close other suspensions, revocations, or stops from your driver record. You must determine that the DMV restored your driving privileges before you drive a motor vehicle. Read the FAQ to learn how to check the status of your driver license or your driving privileges.
- You cannot cancel this transaction after you submit your payment.
- If you have a question about this online transaction, see the FAQs.