How to Plead online to TVB Traffic Tickets and Schedule Hearings, or Pay TVB Traffic Tickets Online
To make sure you are eligible for this transaction, read the information on this page.
When you are ready to begin this transaction, use the "Go to Transaction" link at the bottom of the page.
1. Determine if you are eligible:
- To use this transaction, the front of your traffic ticket must display the words "Traffic Violations Bureau" at the bottom. If the traffic ticket does not display the words "Traffic Violations Bureau," you cannot use this transaction for the ticket. If you need help, see the sample tickets. The TVB does not handle parking violations, criminal driving violations (for example, DWI) or tickets answerable in a local court.
- To use this transaction, the TVB traffic ticket must be an open ticket. If the ticket has been dismissed, or if there was a conviction and the fines, the fees and the surcharges were all paid, the ticket is a closed ticket.
- You can use this online transaction to answer any ten TVB traffic tickets per transaction session. If you have more than ten tickets, you can answer the additional tickets in additional transactions.
- If you are an attorney admitted to the Bar in NYS who wants to process Not Guilty pleas and schedule hearings online for motorists who are your clients, submit form AA-15 (TVB Ticket Management for Attorneys - Application for Web Access).
If you are not eligible to plead to or pay a traffic ticket online, you will receive an online message when you enter the traffic ticket number and your driver information. Follow the instructions in the message. For more help, read the information about traffic tickets at the DMV web site.
2. Determine what you must have and what you need to know:
To plead to or pay traffic tickets online, your web browser must permit cookies.
To plead online to traffic tickets and schedule hearings, or to pay traffic tickets online, you must have the following items or information:
- A traffic ticket number and the last four digits of your Social Security Number. If you have a NYS driver license with your SSN on file, and you do not have the ticket number, enter all of the other information to determine if the DMV can locate the ticket record.
- Your Client ID Number from your NYS DMV driver license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card, or your full name, your date of birth, and your gender if you do not have a NYS DMV Client ID Number.
- A valid e-mail address so the DMV can send you confirmation of your transaction. Your e-mail program must be able to receive e-mail from addresses that
include the domain: dmv.ny.gov.
- If you must pay fines, fees, or surcharges, a credit card or a debit card that the DMV accepts.
- A pen or a pencil and a piece of paper, or a printer, to record your Confirmation Number.
When you use this transaction, you need to know that:
- When you enter one traffic ticket number from an open TVB traffic ticket that is on the DMV records, the transaction displays information about that traffic ticket, and any other open or unpaid TVB traffic tickets issued to you. You can use this online transaction to answer any ten TVB traffic tickets per transaction session. If you have more than ten tickets, you can answer additional tickets in additional transactions.
- The transaction allows you to take the following actions on an open TVB ticket, if the action is available for the specific ticket:
- Plead Guilty and pay the fines, the fees, and the surcharges that result from a plea of guilty, or
- Plead Not Guilty and schedule a TVB hearing in the jurisdiction where the ticket was issued, or
- Pay the fines, the fees, and the surcharges that resulted from an earlier traffic ticket conviction and/or driver license suspension.
- The transaction does not allow you to plead to or to pay:
- Traffic tickets that are not TVB tickets, or
- TVB traffic tickets that are closed. This includes tickets that were dismissed and tickets that resulted in convictions for which all required fines, fees and surcharges have been paid, or
- TVB traffic tickets for which you are required to appear at a TVB office. You are required to appear if a conviction, or a combination of convictions, will result in suspension or revocation of your driver license, learner permit or driving privilege. You are notified during the transaction if you are required to appear.
- If the traffic ticket number you enter is not currently listed on the DMV traffic ticket files, you can request that the DMV send you an e-mail notification when the ticket is entered on the files. You will also be notified if the ticket is not entered on the files after a specified period of time.
- If a traffic ticket or an action is not available, a message in the transaction will notify you and provide instructions. Make sure you carefully read all messages in the transaction.
- If you have a question about this transaction, you can read the FAQs.
- To begin the transaction, select "Go to Transaction" below.