How to Renew Facility Official Business Certificates Online
To make sure you are eligible for this transaction, read the information on this page.
When you are ready to begin this transaction, use the "Go to Transaction" link at the bottom of the page.
1. Determine if you are eligible:
- You can renew facility business certificates online if the facility has one or more valid facility certificates issued by the NYSDMV Division of Vehicle Safety Services. You cannot renew a facility certificate if the facility is not licensed, registered or certified by NYSDMV Vehicle Safety Services, or the license, registration or certification is suspended or revoked.
- You can renew a facility certificate online only if the facility is an auto repair shop, auto repair shop that disposes of vehicular scrap, auto body repair shop,
automobile or boat dealer, transporter, yacht broker, motor vehicle inspection station, vehicle dismantler, scrap processor, scrap collector, salvage pool, itinerant vehicle collector, or mobile car crusher.
- You cannot renew a snowmobile dealer license online. Use form
VS-2, Facility Renewal Application, to renew a snowmobile dealer license.
- You cannot renew a facility certificate online if the certificate is for a vehicle dismantler or salvage pool located in one of the five boroughs of New York City (the counties of Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, and Richmond.)
- You can renew a facility certificate if the facility certificate will expire within the next 60 days or expired within the last six months.
- You cannot renew a facility certificate online if an owner, partner or officer of the company was convicted of a misdemeanor or felony or forfeited bail for a misdemeanor or a felony since the last renewal.
- You cannot renew a facility certificate online if the address of the facility has changed. If the address of the facility changed, get
the information and the form MV-235G to amend the facility address.
If you are not eligible to renew facility certificates online, use form VS-2 (Facility Renewal Application) to apply for renewal. If you need form VS-2, contact Vehicle Safety Services at (518) 474-0919.
2. Determine what you must have and what you need to know:
To renew official business certificates for facilities online, your web browser must permit cookies, and you must have these items or this information:
- The facility number and one validation number from a valid official business certificate issued to the facility by the NYSDMV. See the sample certificate. If the facility has more than one certificate, you can renew the other certificates when you enter a validation number from any one certificate.
- The ZIP code of the facility.
- An e-mail address that is not blocked and not protected so the DMV can send your order confirmation to you. Your e-mail program must be able to receive e-mail from addresses that include the domain: dmv.ny.gov.
- Your name and title as an owner, partner or officer of the facility.
- Additional information that can be different information for different types of facilities. For example, if the facility is an inspection station, you must enter the names and certification numbers of inspectors who work at the station full time.
- A credit card or a debit card that the DMV accepts.
- A pen or a pencil and a piece of paper, or a printer, to record your Confirmation Number.
When you renew facility certificates on line, you need to know that:
- You can renew more than one facility certificate if you provide a validation number from one official business certificate.
- If you have a question about the online renewal of facility certificates, read the FAQs.
Important Information from the U.S. EPA: See the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) web site for the information about the control of motor vehicle waste fluids .