How to Provide Insurance Information Online
This transaction can be used to submit information about your automobile liability insurance coverage if you received an inquiry letter or a suspension or revocation order from the DMV related to your coverage.
Your information must be proof of liability insurance issued for New York State by an insurer authorized by the NYS DMV. The information must be verified with your insurance company. If the DMV cannot verify the information, your driver license and/or vehicle registration will be, or will remain, suspended or revoked.
You will receive an e-mail that confirms this transaction. You can check the status of your transaction online. You must have the Confirmation Number from your transaction displayed below to check the status.
To make sure you are eligible for this transaction, read the information on this page.
When you are ready to begin this transaction, use the "Go to Transaction" link at the bottom of the page.
- The insurance must be liability coverage for New York State issued by an insurer authorized by the NYS DMV.
- If your insurance company does not verify the information you submitted, your driver license and/or vehicle registration will be, or will remain, suspended or revoked. If there are suspension or revocations for reasons other than a lapse in insurance coverage, they will not be affected by this transaction.
- The DMV insurance records will be updated within 48 hours. After 48 hours, you can check the status of your driver license and vehicle registration.
- If you responded to a DMV insurance inquiry letter or a notice of suspension or revocation, you can check online for the status of your insurance case, and your suspension or revocation.
1. Determine if you are eligible:
You can use this transaction only if:
- You received an insurance inquiry letter or a notice of suspension or revocation related to your insurance coverage from the DMV.
- Your vehicle is, or was, insured for New York State with liability coverage issued by an insurer authorized by the NYS DMV on the date in question.
- You can provide an e-mail address so we can send you a confirmation. Your e-mail program must be able to receive e-mail from addresses that include the domain: dmv.state.ny.us.
2. Determine what you must have and what you need to know:
To use this transaction, your web browser must permit cookies.
To submit insurance information online, you must have the following items or information:
- The document number and vehicle plate number for the vehicle in question. Refer to the bottom portion of the letter or order you received from the DMV.
- The effective date and policy number of your auto liability insurance coverage, and the three-digit code of your insurance company. Refer to your insurance Identification card.
- A valid e-mail address. Your e-mail program must be able to receive e-mail from addresses that include the domain: dmv.ny.gov.
- A method to record your Confirmation Number.
When you use this transaction, you need to know that:
- If you have a general question about the NYS automobile liability insurance requirements, you can read the insurance FAQS.
- If you have a question about this transaction, you can read the transaction FAQs.
- To begin the transaction, select "Go to Transaction" below.