How to Order a Duplicate Photo Document Online
To make sure you are eligible for this transaction, read the information on this page.
When you are ready to begin this transaction, use the "Go to Transaction" link at the bottom of the page.
1. Determine if you are eligible:
You can order a NYS duplicate photo driver license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card online (includes enhanced documents) if:
- Your document was lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed. When the duplicate document is issued, the original is no longer valid.
- You did not previously order a duplicate document online within the last two years (if age 25 or older).
- You did not previously order a duplicate document online ever (if under age 25).
- Your 21st birthday is not within the next 40 days.
- You are not adding a veteran status designation.
- Your driver license, permit or non-driver photo ID card is:
- not revoked or suspended
- not expired,
- not a duplicate issued through any method within the last 30 days,
- not a conditional or restricted license,
- not a "Valid Without Photo" document,
- not a "no fee," 10-year non-driver ID card for SSI recipients age 62 or older.
- You order the same type of document with the same information on it. You cannot change class, upgrade to an enhanced document, or change your name or other information on the document.
- Your current mailing address is in the United States and is the address on DMV records. You cannot change your mailing address during the transaction.
- If you sign up for Change My Address in MyDMV, you can change your address online and then use other MyDMV online services to:
- replace your driver license, non-driver photo ID card or permit
- renew your driver license or non-driver photo ID card
- renew or replace your registrations.
- You cannot order a duplicate document online for delivery to an address outside the U.S. (includes military addresses outside the U.S.)
- You pay a fee for the duplicate document. If you want the fee waived for a driver license or permit lost due to a crime, you cannot apply online. You cannot replace a non-driver photo ID card lost due to a crime for no fee by any method.
- You are able to wait at least two weeks for delivery of your duplicate photo document by mail. You cannot get your document sooner at a DMV office or by express mail.
If you cannot order your duplicate photo document on line, see If Your License, Permit or ID is Lost or Stolen. Please note that if you apply for a duplicate document at a DMV office, you will receive a non-photo document. In NYS, photo documents are issued only by mail, not over the counter.
2. Determine what you must have and what you need to know:
You must have these items or this information:
- To do this transaction online, your web browser must permit cookies.
- You must use one of the credit cards accepted by DMV to pay the fee of $17.50.
- For a duplicate learner permit, your must enter your Client ID Number (CID), your gender and your date of birth as they appeared on the original document.
- For a duplicate driver license or non-driver photo ID card, you must provide your name or your Client ID Number, your gender and your date of birth as they appeared on the original document.
- You must provide the last four digits of your Social Security Number and your current ZIP Code.
- You must provide an email address so the DMV can send you a confirmation. If the email address you enter is blocked or protected, it can prevent the delivery of the confirmation email. Your email program must be able to receive email from addresses that include the domain: dmv.ny.gov.
- You cannot cancel the transaction after you submit your payment.
- If you have a question, you can read the FAQs.