How to Look Up and Order Personalized Plates Online
To make sure you are eligible for this transaction, read the information on this page.
When you are ready to begin this transaction, use the "Go to Transaction" link at the bottom of the page.
1. Determine if you are eligible:
You must have a valid NYS vehicle registration in the passenger, commercial or motorcycle registration class.
You cannot order personalized plates online if:
- Your registration expires within the next 60 days. You should renew your registration before you order personalized plates.
- You want personalized plates for the disabled that have the International Symbol of Access. Call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838.
- The mailing address on your DMV registration record is not your current mailing address. Your mailing address with the DMV must be your current mailing address. You cannot change your address during this transaction. You can first change your address online, and then process this transaction.
2. Determine what you must have and what you need to know:
To do this transaction online, your web browser must permit cookies.
You must have these items or this information:
- You must provide your current plate number, registration class code and the first three letters of your last name. If you need help, see the sample documents.
- You can personalize your plates with a maximum of 8 characters (6 for a motorcycle) and add spaces and an optional state image. See the guidelines.
- You must explain what the plate combination means or what the combination represents. The DMV reviews requested personalized plate combinations. The DMV is not required to issue a requested plate. You can read the DMV regulations for restrictions on personalized plate combinations.
- A credit card accepted by DMV to pay the fee.
- A valid email address so the DMV can send you confirmation of your transaction. Software that blocks spam can prevent delivery of your confirmation email. Your email program must be able to receive email from addresses that include the domain dmv.ny.gov.
- A pen or a pencil and a piece of paper, or a printer, to record your Confirmation Number.
- Allow at least two weeks for your new registration documents to arrive by mail. The documents will list your current plate number and your new personalized plate number. Allow at least six weeks for your new personalized plates to arrive by mail.
- If you have a question about this transaction, you can read the FAQs.
- To begin the transaction, select "Go to Transaction" below.
Note: For information about how to order Custom Picture Plates (pro sports, NYS regions, military/veteran, etc.), see the online Custom Plates Gallery. Picture Plates can normally be personalized also.
Read about the new Empire Gold plates to be introduced on April 1, 2010.