To use this transaction...
- You must have your browser set to enable cookies.
- The address on our files must be your current address.
- You must know your plate number, vehicle class and name as it appeared on your original registration documents (samples). See the list of eligible vehicle classes.
- You must provide an email address for us to send you a confirmation. A blocked or protected email address, including spam blocking software, may prevent you from receiving your confirmation email. Your email program must be able to receive e-mail from addresses that include the domain: dmv.ny.gov.
- You must use a credit card to pay the $3.00 duplicate document fee.
- If you have replaced your windshield, see the topic "How do I replace an inspection sticker?".
DO NOT use this transaction if...
- Your current address is different from the one on record with DMV, or you are not able to get mail at that address. — Registration documents are sent only to the address on DMV's files. Email requests for address changes are NOT accepted, but you can first change your address online, and then process this transaction.
- Your plates are lost or stolen. This transaction replaces only your window sticker and receipt.
- Your registration has already expired, or will be expiring very soon. — We recommend that you renew your registration. See more information.
Excluded vehicles (partial list):
- NO vehicles older than model year 1973.
- NO boats, snowmobiles or all-terrain vehicles (ATVs).
- NO vehicles with an expired, suspended or revoked registration.
- NO motorcycles, or other vehicles with plate stickers.
- NO trailers.
- NO transporter vehicles.
- NO vehicles which must be registered through DMV's International Registration Bureau.
- See the list of eligible vehicle classes.
To find out how to order a replacement registration if any of these situations apply to you, see Replace Damaged, Lost or Stolen Registration Items.