How to Replace a Title Certificate Online
To make sure you are eligible for this transaction, read the information on this page.
When you are ready to begin this transaction, use the "Go to Transaction" link at the bottom of the page.
1. Determine if you are eligible
- Your address on file with the DMV must be current and must be an address in the US. Your duplicate title certificate is sent to the address on file with the DMV. To receive your title certificate by an express delivery service, your address must be a street address or physical location address, and the address cannot be a post office (PO) box address. If you have changed your address without notifying DMV, do not order online.
- You must be the owner of the vehicle or boat.
- You cannot order a duplicate title certificate if a title certificate was not previously issued in NYS or if the most recent title certificate was issued in another state.
- You cannot order a duplicate title certificate if any title certificate for the same vehicle or boat was processed within the last 15 days.
- You cannot order a title certificate online that is:
- a duplicate title certificate with a lien removed, or
- an original or amended title certificate, or
- in the name of a deceased owner, or
- ordered using a Power of Attorney.
If you are not eligible to do this transaction online, read the instructions to apply for a duplicate title certificate by telephone, by mail, or at a local DMV office.
2. Determine what you must have and what you need to know:
To do this transaction online, your web browser must permit cookies.
To do this transaction online, you must have these items or this information:
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) or the hull identification number (HIN), the model year, and the make of the vehicle or boat. Refer to your registration documents.
- The date of birth of the owner if the owner is a person and not a business.
- The current ZIP code for the mailing address of the owner.
- A credit card or a debit card that the DMV accepts.
- An email address that is not blocked and not protected. Your email program must be able to receive email from addresses that include the domain: dmv.ny.gov.
- A pen or a pencil and a piece of paper, or a printer, to record your confirmation number.
When you do this transaction online, you need to know that:
- When your order for a duplicate title certificate is processed, all previous title certificates for the vehicle or boat are not valid. Only the duplicate title certificate you order can be used to transfer ownership of the vehicle or boat.
- You cannot cancel this transaction after you submit your payment, and you cannot request a refund.
- Your duplicate title certificate will be sent to you by mail or an express delivery service. If you choose delivery by regular First Class Mail, allow five to seven business days for delivery of your duplicate title certificate.
- Printing and mailing times for title certificates ordered online are as follows:
- If your order is processed before 8 p.m. Eastern Time, your title certificate will be printed on the first business day after your order and mailed on the second business day. For example, a title ordered before 8 p.m. on Tuesday is printed on Wednesday and mailed on Thursday.
- If you order on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday after 8 p.m. Eastern Time, your title certificate will be printed two business days after your order and mailed on the third business day. For example, a title ordered after 8 p.m. on Tuesday is printed on Thursday and mailed on Friday.
- If you order on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, your title certificate will be printed on Monday. For example, a title ordered on Friday is printed on Monday and mailed on Tuesday.
- If you select an express delivery service:
- Your title certificate is delivered on the next business day after it is printed. See the information above on printing time.
- Make sure you note the exact date and time that your title will be delivered. You must be at the delivery address on the delivery date up to the delivery time, and you must provide your signature to receive the document.
- An express delivery carrier can have special requirements for document delivery. The requirements can include that the person who receives the document and signs for it be age 21 or older. Contact the express delivery carrier you select about their requirements.
- A business day is a weekday that is not a State Holiday. Titles are not printed or mailed on weekends or State Holidays.
- If you have a question about your online order for a duplicate title certificate you can, read the FAQs.